In-Use Shows for only last registered button

I have a situation where we have several people that use the same phone. One example is a warehouse with multiple people in it and one phone. I thought it would make things easier by creating a separate button for each person, so say extension 246 would have Jim, Bob, and Harry. The reasoning behind this is that when a call comes in, the receptionist can just look for the person's name instead of having to know Jim is in the warehouse.

That part works.

The problem that I'm seeing is that when someone is on this extension, say Bob, it only shows Jim in use. It looks like it is only showing the last button registered to the extension as being in use. Am I doing something wrong, is that just the way it is, or what?

Comments

• In order to have a kind of hotdesk setup, it is possible but requires all kind of special setups, both in FOP2 and in your Asterisk dialplan also. If you use FreePBX, device&user mode is what you need, and it will be supported natively by FOP2 with no special configurations.

If you use Ombutel, we are also working on having the hotdesking feature working automatically.

If you do not use either, or use FreePBX but not in device & user mode, then it is possible to achieve that but is *not* simple as it will require, as I said, special configurations both in the Asterisk side of things, and in the FOP2 button configuration.

I have no idea how are you doing your hotdesking setup, you are not giving any details. FOP2 tracks DEVICES, as such, it does not know who is JIm, Mary, or John, it knows about SIP/warehouse. If you give a little bit more of information/details, I might be able to help you a little bit.

Best regards,

• We're not doing a hotdesk. The phone, in this case, is always extension 246. The names aren't really important as well as they are just labels on the buttons.

Basically, I have in buttons.cfg pertaining to this extension:
    [SIP/246]
    type=extension
    extension=246
    context=from-internal
    label=Brandon Roop

[SIP/246]
    type=extension
    extension=246
    context=from-internal
    label=INCTX Shipping
    mailbox=246@default

[SIP/246]
    type=extension
    extension=246
    context=from-internal
    label=Pedro Garcia

[SIP/229]
    type=extension
    extension=229
    context=from-internal
    label=Quinton Nester

I included another extension 229 in for reference. What I'm seeing is that with this setup, the last entry for 246 is the only one that shows in use. So, for example, if someone dials extension 246 (SIP/246), the first 2 buttons show no activity, only the last button (the one labelled Pedro).

This is using plain vanilla Asterisk.

Any ideas?
  • That is not a valid configuration, you cannot have multiple buttons monitoring the same device. That won't work.

You should be using some kind of hotdesk, or you can change FOP2 buttons labels "on the fly" by firing a special UserEvent over AMI, but you will have to define how to trigger that event and what name to provide (so actually, you will be using something similar to 'hotdesking').

From the dialplan, something like this:

exten=>s,n,UserEvent(FOP2CHANGEBUTTONLABEL,FOP2Channel: SIP/246,Label: Brandon Roop)

Best regards,