Debian lenny and FOP2 (Solved)

Hello

I wanted to try out FOP2 and downloaded http://www.fop2.com/file.php?file=7 (Which is the 32bit version for debian lenny)

However somewhat similar to another post ont he forum i had issues with a perl module:

usr/local/fop2/fop2_server --help
Compress::Raw::Zlib object version 2.023 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.020 at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm line 97.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at -e line 359.

Now im pretty used to debugging perl module problems, however i couldnt quite figure this out. It seems like the fop2_server file is binary code and with the references to libc im guessing its c?

So im not sure where perl comes into the picture. Also the error message seem wrong since it doesnt change regardless of what version of Compress::Raw::Zlib I install (via apt-get or cpan) also i can even go ahead and delete /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm

Even if the file isnt there the fop2_server complains with the same error.

So whats going on here and what can i do to get it working?

Im running newest updated 32bit debian lenny and i tried with the Compress::Raw::Zlib from apt-get, the newest 2.023 from cpan, an older 2.020 from cpan and none worked, and all gave the same error

Help!!1

:)

Comments

• Hello,

Did you try to install from cpan version 2.020 ?
    #> perl -e shell -MCPAN
    #> install PMQS/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020.tar.gz

• Hi,

I had almost same error with a just installed and up to date Lenny 5.0.2 i386 :
    Compress::Raw::Zlib object version 2.008 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.020 at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm line 97.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12.

I resolved the problem by installing 2.020 version of Compress::Raw::Zlib manually. I think the problem is still strange on a clean install.

Best regards,

Nicolas.
  • Hmm im dumbfounded, Pulling down PMQS/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020.tar.gz via cpan seems to have done the trick.

BUt i got no idea why. Since i got Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020.tar.gz in my /root which i tried to install manualy and it didnt change the error at all.

Strange!

But thanks for your help, now I can continue to evaluate what looks like great software.

It seems like making the tarball use the updated version would be a simple and necesary step though, even better of course would be actualy .debs

THanks again
    Jonas
  • I will have to update packages, yes. But not sure how or when. The issue here is that Compress::Raw:Zlib was updated since the time I created the tarballs, and it complains if the version does not match exactly. I am not sure what version does a fresh lenny install uses now.. if you do a net install it might be different from an iso install. I really did not investigate it fully, I will see what I can do from now on, maybe there is a way to make fop2 work even with different zlib versions.
  • Well as long as its tarballs slight incompatabilities are to be expected (at least thats how i look at it)

The important is ofcourse to be able to let users make it work with as little hassle as possible, so a simple mention of the fix in the readme or more or less anywhere a user is bound to look when installing it would do the trick while we wait for the distro specific packages.

Just my 5 cents

Best regards
    Jonas
  • Guys, sorry to reopen this, but I guess it's important to keep associated errors together.

I tried to correct the Lenny instalation bug the way you suggested above, but I got a different error now.

Attempt to reload Scalar/Util.pm aborted.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.

As I'm not a expert on this issues, I have to recall to your help.

I've allready installed Fop2 on another Debian Etch, and it works fine.

Thanks in advance.

Marco Cordeiro
  • Same problem here.
    Debian Lenny install, did the cpan Zlib trick.
    Then got the Scalar/Util.pm aborted.

Is there any way to test fop2 on a Debian lenny System?
  • Yes, you can use the ETCH tarball. It works on Lenny too without the cpan nightmare.