PIAF/OpenVZ Issues

Hi,

I'm trying to test FOP2 on a PIAF system running on OpenVZ using the template provided by PIAF. After installing I got the port errors that some people have reported, and I still get those intermittently. Therefore, it's not always possible to log in. Sometimes I can't log in at all, and other times I can log in immediately. Other times there are several attempts before one works.

Even when I can log in, the panel is not working properly. I see the buttons, but they don't actually reflect the system's activity. The red or green indicators are not there...just the faded round indicators. And, even when extensions are active, nothing changes in the panel. None of the functions seem to work.

Also, I'm not sure how the panel is supposed to work if I can get it to start working. Since it controls all of the traffic, do the operators get their audio from the panel? Or must they also log in with a SIP client or phone? I can't imagine that, since the panel controls the transferring and other things...therefore it would have a hard time controlling an external client or device. Maybe I will understand this better when I can get the panel to work.

What could I be missing?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Hello,

Can you clarify what port errors are you referring to? Usually, if fop2_server is started and it is listening in port 4445, and you do not have firewalls in place, it works. Always. Period. There is no intermitent issues. Try to catch me online on the live help to review your install and get a little hands on training as I think you do not have problems but just need a little training on what you can do and how.

FOP2 does not pass any audio at all, it displays activity as seen from the PBX and it can originate and redirect calls to endpoints registered to the PBX. But you still need an endpoint (aka phone) to actually talk , spy, etc..

I will be online in about 5 hours from now...

Best regards,
  • Hi,

Thank you for the fast response.
    Can you clarify what port errors are you referring to?
    For example, running a test yields this result:

Couldn't connect to localhost:5038 (Server 0)

Running a test in debug mode yields:

Can't listen to port 4445

I have tried the recommended things such as turning off the original FOP, moving it to a different port, and running the same tests with iptables turned off. Same results.

Despite this issue, it is sometimes possible to log into the panel. Sometimes it is not. And, as mentioned, when I am logged in, the panel is not fully functional. For example, the red and green status indicators are not there...the panel is showing extensions and trunks, but is not reflecting their true activity. Of course, I would expect something like this based on the error messages. Even if I am seeing the interface, I know that something is wrong under the hood.
    I think you do not have problems but just need a little training on what you can do and how.
    For the most part I think this is correct. On the other hand, I followed the instructions to the letter, so I am not sure which step I missed or did incorrectly. :-( Is there a step missing in the guide, or is there a different guide that might yield better results? I followed the one specifically for PIAF. I notice that there is another guide focused on Elastix, but it's indicated that this guide should also work for PIAF and other distributions.

I do agree that, once the connection issue is resolved, I will understand how to use the panel. I already understand it (as the basic operational concepts are actually quite simple), but I just want to confirm it by doing it.
    FOP2 does not pass any audio at all, it displays activity as seen from the PBX and it can originate and redirect calls to endpoints registered to the PBX. But you still need an endpoint (aka phone) to actually talk , spy, etc..
    I figured that this was probably the case. Should FOP2 work in conjunction with an operator using a softphone (e.g., X-Lite or something comparable)? In the system I am working on, the desire is to give operators PCs instead of physical phones.
    I will be online in about 5 hours from now...
    Thank you. I will look for you.

Mark
  • Update: I was able to get on live support chat, and I received the best support I have ever had on any product. After patient troubleshooting, it was determined that my issue is not with FOP, but was an issue with the OpenVZ VPS not responding to "localhost". The solution was easy...just a quick change to the FOP config file to point it to the localhost by IP instead. Even though the issue was not with his product, his concern was still solving the problem and getting me up and running.

Thanks for a great product and great support!!! You have won a customer.