fop2 Fedora Installation

I take it you can't get this to fly on Fedora (using 12).

Everything seems to point to Perl issues. Kind of bummed because I really need this next week...

Thanks in advance if anyone has got a fix.

Comments

• Hello,

The fix is complicated as Fedora comes bundled with a DEBUGGING perl. And fop2 will refuse to run on such environment.

You have to compile perl with no debug. It is not quick and it is not easy. I have made some non debugging perls for some fedora versions, but you have to "force install" them, and some perl modules might fail to run after that. As it is something "dangerous" we decided not to publish a fedora release except for the one you have in the download page (for FC10).
  • After some digging I found just that (what you posted).

Hence I went back to CentOS.

Mostly a windows guy but this is why linux has never gained mass market share. Bottom line installing various pkgs. can be a long haul. The avg user will never understand how to sort through the miles of old files when looking for a specific tar or rpm.

Result....i use linux for phone systems only and never will use them for anything else.

Just a suggestion but I would put on the site that fop2 DOES NOT WORK on Fedora or systems running DEBUGGING perl.

Although I got this to work finally after many hours. Perl then failed in other areas. So like I said I felt like a fighter pilot headed for the ground hearing "eject....eject....eject..." from the cockpit so I did just that and went to CentOS.

Again I'm not a full-time linux guy my knowlege is somewhere between intermediate - expert, so keep that in mind. Someone else might find this not to be such an issue. If that is the case I'm sure Nick would love for you to post a detailed how to.

[color=#4000FF:logf9ihg]Oh one last thing fop2 absolutely rocks. I just scrapped an entire install just so I could use it. It is well worth your 40 dollars. I don't even need the extra exten. (more than 15) and I'm going to buy a couple copies just because I value the work![/color:logf9ihg]