listen and whisper doesn't work

Hello,

I have installed and completed the configuration on Elastix 2.0. Also loaded the FreePBX module for FOP2. much easier to handle, especially the permissions and groups. Everything looks very attractive. Cool.

Only "listen and whisper' is not working. When i click on the button after selecting the extension (example 111) i want to whisper, the call comes to my phone, i answer the call. But i don't hear anything from both the caller and the ext 111. ext 111 dont hear my whisper too.

I am not sure this is a problem with FOP2, but can you guide me to some trouble shooting steps since must have a check-list to make it work.

BTW : Only listen button works, and i could hear both party talk.

Appreciate your support.

Regards

Mtaib

Comments

• You can try by setting in fop2.cfg
    force_parameter_delimiter=","

It is commented by default, it is required for whisper to work in asterisk 1.6.0.

In any case you can start fop2_server in debug mode and see the output when you try the action:
    /usr/local/fop2/fop2_server -X 15

• Hi,
    I got it working. But i found that whenever the caller mute his/her mic, the spying channel also mute the mic (i was spying and whispering on a complete SIP exten -> exten setup). i am not sure if this is the desired behavior of whisper.

If the caller doesn't mute, i can spy and whisper to my agent.

Regards

mtaib
  • This also worked for me..

the path to update the file was:
    /usr/local/fop2/fop2.cfg

I uncommented the referenced line saved and then restarted the fop2 process via:
    /etc/init.d/fop2 restart

retested and it was working properly...
  • Hi,
    I got all thing working great, my only one issue is that when i'm whispering to my agents both of us ( my agent and me ) can't hear the other channel ( generally, the customer's channel ). is that normal ? or may i fix something on the fop2 configuration ?
    thanks for help
  • Hello,

It seems to be a chanspy bug in your current asterisk version. Fop2 just launches the chanspy application with the parameters that you can set in fop2.cfg (whisper_options). You might want to tweak the options a little , look at chanspy possible options to see what you can do. The stock config will use the w option to whisper, and if that does not work well, is most probably a problem with chanspy itself. There are *several* asterisk versions with broken chanspy..
  • Thanx alot Nicolas !! your reply was very helpfull . Actually it was from asterisk version, i downgraded it from 1.8 version to 1.6 , and it works well.
    Best regards !
  • This bug is fixed in asterisk 1.8.6 - that's the version I upgraded to when I was having these problems.

The new problem is that part way through the day one of my agents can no longer whisper or listen from the panel even though the other functions work.
  • Seems to be a problem with fop2 server loosing its permission settings, but I have to reproduce the problem somehow in order to work on a fix.
  • Seems to be a problem with fop2 server loosing its permission settings, but I have to reproduce the problem somehow in order to work on a fix.

This happens quite frequently on my system. Is there any debug information I can try and get that would help you?
  • I have found the issue and I am working on the fix. The problem occurs when you log into fop2, then perform a spy, then logout from fop2 and log back in. At that point spy stops working. I will be updating FOP2 later today or tomorrow...
  • Hi Nicholas,

I am using Asterisk 11.12.0, and FOP2 - Version 2.28 .
    When i select an extension and click on listen and whisper, a call comes to the extension on which i am logged in , but soon as I answer the call, it hangs up. could you advice on how to solve this.

• You will have to start fop2 in debug mode and inspect the output when you attempt a call spying.

service fop2 stop
    cd /usr/local/fop2
    script capture.log
    ./fop2_server -X 511
    (log into fop2, try to spy)
    ctrl-C
    exit
    service fop2 start

At that point, look at the capture.log file and search for "spy" and see all the following events and debug lines after that to get an idea of what is going on.

best regards,
  • i have a similar issue, listen and whisper option is working only if i give the user permissions "all" . if i give the user "spy" only it is not working !

• listen and whisper option is working only if i give the user permissions "all" . if i give the user "spy" only it is not working !