FOP2 Ubuntu8.10

Can I use :
fop2-001-i386-glibc2.3.6-debian-etch.tgz
for compiling in Ubuntu8.10 server edition?

Rgds
Henk

Comments

• Hi,

I am not sure if it will work, but please try it out. It will do no harm. I am in the process of making packages for popular distributions. I will include ubuntu to the list. In the meantime please try it out and report it back here. I really do not know if ubuntu 8 is more lenny than etch.

--
    Nicolás
  • I'm testing Debian Lenny -i386 on Ubuntu 8.10

root@medion:/usr/local/fop2# /usr/local/fop2/fop2_server --test
    Compress::Raw::Zlib object version 2.011 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.020 at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm line 97.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12. :roll:
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Archive/Zip.pm line 12.
    Compilation failed in require at -e line 359. :roll:
    root@medion:/usr/local/fop2#
  • Ok, you will have to wait for ubuntu packages then... They will be available sometime next week.
  • Ok, you will have to wait for ubuntu packages then... They will be available sometime next week.

OK ;)

When will Ubuntu packages be available?
    (why isn't their a 'general' package, like in FOP ? )
  • Not sure how or why, but there are some users running debian-etch version on ubuntu 8.04. Actually I know why, you need to install Raw::Compress:Zlib version 2.020... you can do that with:
    #> perl -e shell -MCPAN
    #> install PMQS/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020.tar.gz

That should take care of the problem..

Best regards,
  • Not sure how or why, but there are some users running debian-etch version on ubuntu 8.04. Actually I know why, you need to install Raw::Compress:Zlib version 2.020... you can do that with:
    #> perl -e shell -MCPAN
    #> install PMQS/Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020.tar.gz

That should take care of the problem..

Best regards,

Installed Raw::Compress:Zlib version 2.020...

root@medion:/usr/local/fop2# ./fop2_server --test
    Attempt to reload Scalar/Util.pm aborted.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
    Compilation failed in require at -e line 359.
    root@medion:/usr/local/fop2# 

• Anyone who got FOP2 working on Ubuntu? :roll:
  • perl zlib 2.020 is in Karmic I see. I shall be installing a Karmic server next week, after its release and will report back.
    Is it really necessary to require this version of the perl module? I am astonished that it is assumed that Centos would have this version (it doesn't by default - it has 1.42) or Debian Lenny (2.012). Is this actually a problem with Ubuntu's perl installation? Does FOP2 really strictly require 2.020?
    It is a bit sad that no packages are available - I know the install process is fairly easy, but they have been mentioned a lot, but don't seem to have materialised. This is commercial software, so I would want a proper package and repository if I am going to pay for it. Of course I would make Debian/Ubuntu packages myself if it were open source ... ;)
  • Hello,

There is no official Ubuntu package for FOP2. I might make one in the future, but it is not advertised nor available. You can try FOP2 for free at your own risk. If a debian package works for you then great! You will be good with the paid version too as it is actually the same binary. But you are right: there is no official ubuntu package, do not buy it i fyou want a package for that distro and you are unwilling to try/fiddle with perl modules/versions.

Even with some distros you will have to fiddle with modules as they are constantly being updated, and some distros come with a debugging perl. That zlib version was released after fop2 was released, there is now also a new perl release altogether. If you happen to update CPAN it will update Zlib (it's a core package). I cannot control perl or modules releases, and its good that they are updated but it will bring complications if you update your perl too.

It would be great to have a ready to run version for every distribution out there.. but the price point in FOP2 is low for a reason.. and currently it is not possible to cover every distro out there for such a small fee.

You can expect a native ubuntu package eventually... Best regards,