Extensions Misrouting / Not Ringing

Hi,

We are having issues with extensions misrouting (e.g., call 105 and get 150, etc.), and with incoming calls not ringing in many cases. In FOP2, the incoming call will show the incoming call icon at the receiving extension, but not the ringing icon. And the person does not hear the phone ring. (Yes, the ringer is turned up.)

This even happens at a location where things worked fine for two months. The only change we've made in our configuration is installing the full version of FOP2. This is on an OpenVZ setup, so we had to set up the virtual network device to activate the license.

I'm not saying that FOP2 is causing our issues, however we've exhausted just about everything else. And this is the only thing we changed in our config. Is there any chance that FOP2 (or the virtual network device) is causing these issues? How would we troubleshoot this? Unfortunately, we need an operator panel to view the behavior, since the client is 3000 miles away.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• To further clarify, we also suffered from the issue reported by someone else in the forum, with extensions going gray often. (This also started right after installing FOP2 full version.) We can stop them from going gray by turning off the qualify feature in FreePBX. However, with qualification off, we get the behavior mentioned above. So, with qualification, extensions seem to work fine...if they qualify. But, most of the time, they don't qualify and remain gray. This is true even if we set qualify time high, like 8000 or even 20000.

Any help will be appreciated.
  • Hi,

Fop2 in itself will not alter or modify routing behavior at all.

Now, the dummy network interface is something else... I do not think that having a dummy network interface will modify dial behavior as you describe either, but who knows.. maybe chan_sip is getting confused or misbehaving? That dummy network does not need an ip to be configured, not sure how do you have it.

Anyways, the test is easy. Just stop fop2, and remove the dummy interface, and let asterisk run for a couple more days and see if you still experience those issues. If you do, then look at asterisk/freepbx itself. If the problem stops, then it is because the dummy network or fop2 itself.

Just FYI, I run asterisk on an openvz container myself, in my office, is my main devel machine, and I do not have problems.

Best regards,
  • Thank you.

Can you tell me how to remove the dummy interface? I am not familiar with this process in OpenVZ. I only created the interface to facilitate the licensing of FOP2, following the instructions provided.

Also, will removing the interface prevent the license from working, or was it a one-time check?

Thanks,

Mark
  • Anyways, the test is easy. Just stop fop2, and remove the dummy interface, and let asterisk run for a couple more days and see if you still experience those issues.

One problem is that we need an operator panel to check to see if the issues are gone. The client is far away, so we use the panel to watch the behavior. How would we re-activate FOP1 to do this?

Thanks.
  • Just load fop1. I do not know how you installed fop2 , but there is no need to stop or remove fop1. Just load the /panel directory.

However it sound strange to me that you can actually see the routing problems you describe with fop? Maybe I did not understand the issue..
  • However it sound strange to me that you can actually see the routing problems you describe with fop? Maybe I did not understand the issue..

Okay, I'll try to explain better. Normally, when a call is made from one extension to another, the receiving extension shows the "ringing" icon (the flashing phone icon with the ringing indicator). So, when I am logged into FOP2 using extension 105 (for example) and I call 108 (for example)...normally I would see the indication that 108 is ringing. Then, when the party answers, the icon changes to the incoming call icon (not flashing, with the arrow indicating that it's an incoming call).

However, when the problem happens, the behavior is different. I call extension 108, and instead of the ringing icon, I just see the incoming call icon. The phone does not appear to be ringing, which is indeed true. The client reports that the phone never rings in this case. After the normal ring period, voicemail picks up...although the client's phone never rang.

So, FOP2 properly shows this behavior. Since the client is far away and cannot always help us with testing, the operator panel gives us the perfect way to test the behavior. When we dial an extension and do not see the ringing icon, this is an indicator that the routing issue is still there.

I hope this explanation helps.

Thanks,

Mark
  • You will have to do a sip trace on the asterisk machine when that happens... My first thought is some kind of phone setting like DND, but it could also be some weird sip issue, and maybe, just maybe, the dummy interface has something to do. But as I said, I use asterisk myself in an openvz machine, and I do not have any sip/routing issues.

But when strange things happen, and if you think it started happening when the dummy eth0 was created and fop2 put into production, then the way to troubleshot is to turn off the suspects. So, you won' t be able to see it visually, but the problem should go away so there would not be a need to see it visually anyways. I am not saying to stop using it forever, is just to rule out the probable cause of your issues.

If you turn fop2 off, and remove the dummy device for one week, and the problem never appears again, then we know there must be something with it. If the problem persists, then you can turn them back on an look somewhere else.
  • http://wiki.openvz.org/Virtual_Ethernet_device

There you have the way to remove the device, the syntax is:

vzctl set <CTID> --netif_del <dev_name>

You won't be able to have fop2 registered if you remove it, but the idea is to stop fop2 and remove the dummy device for some time to see if the problem goes away..
  • Hi,

It's definitely not DND. That has been checked multiple times, and it happens on multiple extensions too.

Also, if it was DND, calls would go right to voicemail. But the way it is now, calls go to voicemail after the standard ring time period...but there's no ringing.

I will look into a SIP trace.

Thanks,

Mark