Suggestions for future release

Here are a few suggestions of what could be added to a future release of FOP2:

-Feature that allows you to bulk import email, external transfer numbers, etc. into FOP2 manager (CSV file, e.g.), or have FOP2 manager pull email, cell phone info from contacts or userman.
-Allow Transfer to mailbox and Transfer to mobile action buttons not only upon transfer, but also on initiate. E.g. the operator wants to initiate a call to somebody's cell phone, she just clicks the action button.
-Dial/Send button on the dialpad
-Ability to have different users of FOP2 manager with different privileges and logins. E.g. I want my receptionist to have access to FOP2 manager, but only be able to change specific things (e.g. add email and external transfer to buttons, but not set user privileges).

Comments

• Also when you have several groups of buttons, and you filter the list, currently the buttons only move around in their own group box. If a group box is several pages of scrolling down, you don't see it unless you scroll down. Ideally when you filter the list, the groups move up to fill the gaps.
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

I am adding the transfer to mailbox and external original if not in a call today.

I did some improvements on the Users page on the Manager, adding a filter option to quickly search for users. I will probably add a filter option for the buttons page also.

I will see if I can add support for bulk data importing or similar in some way.

Adding user levels in FOP2 manager will be done eventually, but it is a big change, it will take time and I have to think/design how to implement it.

I will review the filter and groups on 2.30, rearranging the display is a possibility but has some complications as some sections might be pinned, and if not, arranging things back after a filter might end with a different layout than the original. I will have to experiment.

Finally, yesterday I was working on updates on the Chrome extension, I will write a more detailed post later today.. as new features it has a configurable protocol handler (before it was hardcoded to sip:), the notification content can be retrieved via ajax directly instead of opening a popup (so you can retrieve any information via web service when you get a call and display that as a desktop notification), and the extension buttons are clickable, so you can quickly dial them. All of those features were suggested by users also.
  • Version 2.30.01 was released yesterday, including these suggested features:

* Feature that allows you to bulk import email, external transfer numbers, etc. into FOP2 manager (CSV file, e.g.)
    * Allow Transfer to mailbox and Transfer to mobile action buttons not only upon transfer, but also on initiate. E.g. the operator wants to initiate a call to somebody's cell phone, she just clicks the action button.
    * Dial/Send button on the dialpad
  • Have you thought of adding a FOP2 upgrade option in FOP2 manager?
    Would be nice to have.
  • The web server user does not have enough privileges to do so. And you do not want it to give those privileges either. So I will say that's a no-no.

Anyways, what I might do at some point in the future is to create .rpm or .deb packages and mantain specific repositories so you could get up to date with yum/apt-get. But this also pose some issues as version upgrades are not free forever, and updating a package without updating the license could break things up, etc..

Best regards,
  • edited November 2015
    How about an option to start/restart fop2 from fop2 manager?
    Is that also a privilege issue?
  • It cannot be done either due to privileges/permissions.
  • Most of my extensions in Freepbx have an email assigned in voicemail.conf, where notification emails get sent to.

It would be nice if these email addresses got automatically imported into FOP2 manager. Right now I have to do it using the bulk import feature or just enter them manually.
  • Most of my extensions in Freepbx have an email assigned in voicemail.conf, where notification emails get sent to.

It would be nice if these email addresses got automatically imported into FOP2 manager. Right now I have to do it using the bulk import feature or just enter them manually.
  • Anyways, what I might do at some point in the future is to create .rpm or .deb packages and mantain specific repositories so you could get up to date with yum/apt-get.,

+10
  • avayax 15 Nov 2015 Edited last year by avayax
    How about an option to start/restart fop2 from fop2 manager?
    Is that also a privilege issue?

While you couldn't do this from the FOP2 web interface, you *COULD* do it in a dialplan in Asterisk... dial a "secret code" which would restart the service (or run any command you wish....)

• No, you can't manage a service either from asterisk, unless you do some kind of special privileged configuration that allowed some user to restart system services. (It is possible to do, but also a security risk).

Best regards,