Unregistered and Diabled Trunks still showing on FOP2

In FOP1, when a Trunk was declared "Disabled" in the setup, the trunk no longer showed up in the panel. I think this is a good idea since the resource is intentioanlly disabled and no longer avaialbe for use.

In FOP2, when the Trunk is configured as Disabled, it still shows up in the FOP2 panel.

Can I change this back to FOP1 style where the trunk does not show (without manually editing the buttons.cfg file) is the Trunk is disabled?

In FOP1, when a Trunk lost registration or was waiting for a Request Sent response, the panel showed the Trunk in a lighter green.

In FOP2, when I intentioally put in bad passwrod information to test this, the Trunk failed to Register (Showed as "Not Authenticated" in Asterisk Info), but FOP2 still showed it as green.

How can I get FOP2 to change its display if a Trunk loses registration?

Comments

• You can use the FOP2 Buttons page in fop2admin to disable arbitrary buttons, including trunks.

Any registration state that is advertised via AMI events will be shown in FOP2, if you do not see it, it is not broadcasted via AMI. Either upgrade Asterisk or be sure you have your buttons configured correctly.

Best regards,
  • You can use the FOP2 Buttons page in fop2admin to disable arbitrary buttons, including trunks.

Any registration state that is advertised via AMI events will be shown in FOP2, if you do not see it, it is not broadcasted via AMI. Either upgrade Asterisk or be sure you have your buttons configured correctly.

Best regards,

I did see the configuration options in FreePBX -> Other -> fop2 buttons but I want the fop2 panel to automatically reflect the system settings (like it did in fop1), not to have to go in and manually match the fop2 panel settings to the system settings.

I disabled the auto configuration option by commenting out line
    #exec autoconfig-users-freepbx.sh
    and uncommenting the line
    buttonfile=buttons.cfg
    so I could prevent users from seeing the fop2 panel; I only want admin to see/use the fop2 panel.

I manually refresh the buttons.cfg file whenever I change the configuration by running, at the CLI
    /usr/local/fop2/autoconfig-buttons-freepbx.sh > /usr/local/fop2/buttons.cfg
    and it seems to do fine

As for the "If you do not see it, it is not being broadcasted by AMI", I do see it when I use
    FreePBX -> Reports -> Asterisk Info
    Asterisk Info properly hides any trunks that are disabled
    Asterisk Info properly shows when a trunk loses registration
    so the information is being broadcasted

I am on Asterisk 11 with FreePBX 2.11
    Is there any chance the flags sent are different in this configuration and not recognized by fop2 v2.26?
  • I did see the configuration options in FreePBX -> Other -> fop2 buttons but I want the fop2 panel to automatically reflect the system settings (like it did in fop1), not to have to go in and manually match the fop2 panel settings to the system settings.

FOP2 is not a FreePBX module, it works on any asterisk installation, but it comes with a management module, and a set of autoconfiguration script for FreePBX. The scripts can be tweaked/modified to your hearts content. You are free to tweak/modify them to suit your needs. You can surely add a check for the trunks table disable state and change the output from the script accordingly. Or you can write your totally custom script if you want, not using fop2admin at all.

FOP2Admin does not change button labels when you change extension labels in FreePBX, they are not in sync, they are read at installation time, and kept that way for you to tweak/modify via the fop2 buttons menu.

You are free to rename any button to anything you like without restrictions/limits, or you can disable any button you like, even extensions, or conference, in fop2 buttons, without direct ties with FreePBX configurations.

It seems "Asterisk Info" is just a web layer over Asterisk CLI commands, like "sip show peers", "core show channels", etc. CLI commands are quite different from the Asterisk AMI. What I said still stands, FOP2 uses AMI, not the CLI, and known events that match a channel definition will reflect state. Disabled is not an asterisk state at all, it is some freepbx way of handling its configurations.

Do your sip trunks have the qualify option set? That is a requirement to get peer registration status events.

Best regards,
  • Do your sip trunks have the qualify option set?
    Best regards,

Yes, the SIP Trunks each have
    qualify=yes
    as part of their configuration

The full configuration for the trunks (confidential info edited) is:
    username=<SIP_UserName>
    type=peer
    secret=<SIP_Secret>
    rfc2833compensate=yes
    relaxdtmf=yes
    qualify=yes
    progressinband=no
    insecure=port,invite
    host=<SIP_Host>
    dtmfmode=rfc2833
    disallow=all
    context=from-pstn
    canreinvite=no
    allow=ulaw

The trunks are properly showing the call statuswhen the trunks are used; they are just not showing the trunk status when the trunk is not avaiable (disabled in FreePBX or lost Registration)

I took a quick look at the files in /var/ww/html/fop2 but could not easlity figure out the one to look at to see about recognizing trunk status (not regstering). The comments were in (?Spanish?), which I assume works for you but unfortunately, I do not speak/read Spanish so I could not understand the comments.
  • I have just tested, a sip trunk with qualify and not registered, it shows grayed out in FOP2. Again, registration status is not the same ad enabled/disabled in freepbx. You won't see a grayed out button when you disable the trunk in freepbx, as that is *not* a channel status at all, it is a freepbx state that affects dialplan generation, it is not a channel state.

As I said, you can modify autoconfig-buttons-freepbx.sh if you want, and modify the output based on the disabled field in the trunk database if you need it. The script is an .sh file, a bunch of bash variables, functions and mysql queries, not language dependant. You do not have to change html files at all, not sure why you looked there.
  • registration status is not the same ad enabled/disabled in freepbx

Understood. I included the Disabled and Registration comments only to be complete, but my focus is on the display when a trunk loses registration. I will only deal with that from now on.

My installation is:
    PBXinaFlash package 2.0.6.4.4 "Green" with
    - Asterisk 11
    - FreePBX 2.11
    FOP2 2.26

I am starting to think I may have not enabled some things properly in this installation.

As en example

When I dowloaded and installed the Demo (free) version, there was a menu item in the top right corner that allowed me to change the display so it only showed a small box for each extension and did not individually show the two lines and their status. In this (paid for) version, here is no menu in the top-right corner. I'd like to minimize the display size so the smaller box was useful.

In this installation, i edited /usr/local/fop2/fop2.cfg so that it did NOT auto-configure users. I edited three lines:
    - #exec autoconfig-users-freepbx.sh  (I commented it out)
    - user=<User_Name>:<User_Password>:all (I added it - using real entries - to create an "admin" user sign-in credentials)
    - buttonfile=buttons.cfg (I uncommented it)

I also tried the user setting with
    user=<User_Name>:<User_Password>:dial,hangup,meetme,pickup,record,spy,transfer,whisper,queuemanager,queueagent,phonebook,chat,preferences,hangupself,recordself,voicemailadmin

with all the permissions explictly enabled (instead of all) as a double check, but there was no difference

I manually run
    /usr/local/fop2/autoconfig-buttons-freepbx.sh > /usr/local/fop2/buttons.cfg ; service fop2 restart

after any changes are made to ensure the latest button configuration is put in place

my asterisk user setting in /etc/asterisk/manager_additinal.conf is (real user/secret entires blocked out)
    [<AMI_User>]
    secret = <AMI_Secret>
    deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    permit=127.0.0.1/255.255.255.0
    read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate
    write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate

I am seeing the panel with the extenisons/trunks/conference/park items showing (I do not use queues) in it that I want and it properly shows when calls are made or incoming calls come in.

But maybe something I have done has disabled the default functionality (the Menu for example) and that same thing is preventing the trunk monitoring for unregistered trunks.

I followed the tutorial and instructions at
    http://www.elastixconnection.com/index. ... t&Itemid=1
    and
    http://www.fop2.com/documentation.php
    and did NOT add the filter elements as shown at
    http://www.fop2.com/blog/make-fop2-snap ... ventfilter

Any ideas?

Richard
  • OK,

I have just re-read all the installation instructions and User Guide

A couple of things I now know for sure

1 ) My system is not fully functional. I do not have any of the Toolbar icons on the top in the toolbar. I have the Fliter/Dial/Available items in the Toolbar, but no icons and therefore very limited functionality.
    However, when I run
    /usr/local/fop2/fop2_server --test
    It comes back with
    Connection to manager OK!
    The panel is displaying basic connection status properly, but that is all.

2) I did NOT run the
    /usr/local/fop2/generate_override_contexts.pl -write
    script, but it says this is not required; that it is an option if you want tighter FreePBX configuration

3) I never had FOP1 installed. I installed FOP2 directly on a FreePBX install. Any chance there is something expected as a carry-over from FOP1 that I do not have?

RIchard
  • I was reading throught the other posts in the forum and in the
    View Post 1751
    post, you mentioned a table called
    fop2state
    in the asterisk database that was added by fop2

I do not have that table.
    Is this a problem?
    Might it be contributing to the lack of "Unregistered" detection on the trunks?

I have:
    - fop2buttons
    - fop2GroupButton
    - fop2Groups
    - fop2PermGroup
    - fop2permissions
    - fop2settings
    - fop2templates
    - fop2 UserGroup
    - fop2users
    and they all seem to properly contain the settings I created with the fop2 admin panel

My system is also a 64-bit system.
    Is that a potential issue?

I also have one thing that does NOT follow the installation recommendations as stated in
    View Post 1645
    (for asterisk 11 and FreePBX 2.11
    and in the FAQ in
    http://www.fop2.com/documentation-faq.php
    under
    Is there a FOP2 version for CentOS 6?

In this section it says to add a symlink (in my case for a 64-bit system) by entering the command
    ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.6

but when I tried to do that, it threw an error and upon insection, I already had symlinks (created during the PBXinaflash install?) in /usr/lib64 which had
    libcrypto.so.10 -> libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    libcrypto.so.6 -> libcrypto.so.0.9.8e
    so I did not change that

Is this helping to figure out whay my panel is not:
    - showing trunk status when a trunk becomes unregistered
    - showing any icons in the Toolbar (for Listen, Whisper, ...)
  • 2) I did NOT run the
    script, but it says this is not required; that it is an option if you want tighter FreePBX configuration
    RIchard

I did run
    which did edit the files as described

I then restarted fop2 - no change
    I then rebooted the system - no change

I still have:
    - trunks not reflecting a loss of registration
    - no icons in the Toolbar

I really like the FOP2 system design (heck I just bought 2 licenses); I'd like to get it fully functional
  • Hi,

We are many hours a day available at the live help, sometimes that is the best way to fix configuration issues.

If you do not see action buttons is because you are logged with an extension that is NOT listed in the extension box below, your extension must be also present as a button in order to perform actions. It is mandatory. If you log with user "johndoe" or an extension number that does not match any "extension" in your button config, then you won't see the action buttons.

Do you see sip registration status for your extensions? for trunks works the same, as long as the trunk channel matches the peerstatus event channel.
  • We are many hours a day available at the live help, sometimes that is the best way to fix configuration issues.
    If you do not see action buttons is because you are logged with an extension that is NOT listed in the extension

With your help, I think I just discovered an undocumented feature :)
    I had manually established a user (I disabled the auto-config of users) in the fop2.cfg file (say johndoe) as
    user=<johndoe>:<password>:all
    to be the generic user who could monitor all extensions, trunks, ...

This allowed me to have "johndoe" act as a system administrator to diagnose connection status and issues. It might even be an outside contractor who does not have an extension. It really does not matter.

Now that I know about the need to have the user be an actual extension, I realize that the "johndoe" user could be intentionally set up for someone you want to have read-only status to the panel. No control icons, just read-only. Nice feature actually.

So yes, now that I have established, as a user, one of the legitimate extensions (mine), I can see the toolbar with the icons.
    I need now to figure out how to do the lsiten and whisper feature so I can coach a new call centre employee, but I'll dig into that.

Thank you.
    One item resolved - and yes, the root cause was user issue :( .

However, I still am not able to get the trunk button to show in the panel when the SIP trunk goes unregistered.
    I signed in as the real extension user and manually disabled the trunk.
    When I ran
    asterisk -rx 'sip show registry'

it did properly show the trunk as Not Registered / No Authentication
    Host                                    dnsmgr Username       Refresh State                Reg.Time                 
    sip06.unlimitel.ca:5060                 N      5195940055         120 No Authentication                             
    17 SIP registrations.

but the trunk button in the FOP2 panels stayed green througout.
    I left the trunk in a Not Registered state for 5 minutes in case there was a lag issue with FOP2 or something, but no change - the button stayed green.

I hear you that the FOP2 panel uses AMI and I am using CLI commands, but the net is that the trunk loses registration so I would have expected the panel button to realize that.
    When an extension is not registered, it greys out (regardeless of what user I sign in with), but not the trunks.

So maybe it is time to try a live interaction.
    I am in the Eastern Standard Time zone.
    Where are you and what would be a good time to try and use the live interaction?

Thanks for your help on this; it is a great piece of software and I'd like to get the configuration working fully.
  • The grayed out buttons are done for SIP Status (sip show peers). Not registry information. A Peer with qualify set will send periodic events via AMI about its status. So, check "sip show peers" for your trunks, not "sip show registry"

Best regards,
  • check "sip show peers" for your trunks

I disabled the trunk and then ran
    asterisk -rx 'sip show registry'

just to make sure it was disabled and yes, it was.

I then went and ran
    asterisk =rx 'sip show peers'

and it showed no problems

But the trunk was unusable

I waited for 10 minutes with the trun in a disablled status but it made no difference:
    - sip show registry continued to show the SIP trunk as not Registered
    - sip show peers continued to show no problems

The trunk was not usable for the 10 minutes that is was not registered, but FOP2 showed it as fine (using sip show peers)

Is there a way to get sip show peers to show the non-functioning trunK?
    If not, is there a way to get the panel to reflect sip show registry as well as sip show peers?

R
  • The FOP1 panel used to show when the trunk went unregistered

Is there some coed I could take from that and try to integrate with FOP2?

I know I am harping on one bit of funcitonality here, but it was the ability of FOP1 to show when trunks went unregistered that allowed me to resolve an issue with a trunk service provider. They initially denied any issue at their end but by using FOP1's ability to dispaly trunk status, I was able to track the status and get the provider to fix (although never admit to :-) ) the error on their end.

So I am hoping to retain that functionality in FOP2

FOP2 is a great piece of software and does many things FOP1 did not do. I am hoping to keep the one thing FOP1 did do that at this point it appears FOP2 does not do.
  • FOP2 shows sip peer status, including trunks. If a "sip show peers" shows a trunk as lagged or unreachable, it will show as such in the fop2 display. (if the manager event is properly received).

Best regards,
  • FOP2 shows sip peer status, including trunks.
    Best regards,

Nicolas,

I get the fact that FOP2 shows sip peer status , NOT sip registry status.

What I do not understand is why FOP1 showed the trunk when it went unregistered but FOP2 does not.
    Did something change between fop1 and FOP2?

I literally copied/pasted the trunk (and extension) settings from the old (64-bit CentOS 6.2, Asterisk 1.8, FreePBX 2.9, fop1) system to the new (64-bit CentOS 6.4, Asterisk 11, FreePBX 2.11, FOP2) system and on the fop1 system, when the trunk went out of registration, the trunk button "dimmed" but on the FOP2 system it does not change colour.

It may be that the same peer settings for the trunk or the same AMI settings are no longer sending the same status messages out, but I do not know how to check this.
    Can you advise?

I have experimented on numerous trunks, but I will share with you the settings for one trunk (private info replaced by {content}) that I got by running
    asterisk -rx 'sip show peer Mktg_5-out'

which produced
    * Name       : Mktg_5-out
      Description  :
      Secret       : <Set>
      MD5Secret    : <Not set>
      Remote Secret: <Not set>
      Context      : from-pstn
      Record On feature : automon
      Record Off feature : automon
      Subscr.Cont. : <Not set>
      Language     :
      Tonezone     : <Not set>
      AMA flags    : Unknown
      Transfer mode: open
      CallingPres  : Presentation Allowed, Not Screened
      Callgroup    :
      Pickupgroup  :
      Named Callgr :
      Nam. Pickupgr:
      MOH Suggest  :
      Mailbox      :
      VM Extension : *97
      LastMsgsSent : 0/0
      Call limit   : 0
      Max forwards : 0
      Dynamic      : No
      Callerid     : "" <>
      MaxCallBR    : 150 kbps
      Expire       : -1
      Insecure     : port,invite
      Force rport  : Yes
      Symmetric RTP: Yes
      ACL          : No
      DirectMedACL : No
      T.38 support : No
      T.38 EC mode : Unknown
      T.38 MaxDtgrm: -1
      DirectMedia  : No
      PromiscRedir : No
      User=Phone   : No
      Video Support: Yes
      Text Support : No
      Ign SDP ver  : No
      Trust RPID   : No
      Send RPID    : No
      Subscriptions: Yes
      Overlap dial : Yes
      DTMFmode     : rfc2833
      Timer T1     : 500
      Timer B      : 32000
      ToHost       : {provider_FQDN}
      Addr->IP     : {privider_IP_address}:5060
      Defaddr->IP  : (null)
      Prim.Transp. : UDP
      Allowed.Trsp : UDP
      Def. Username: {phone number}
      SIP Options  : (none)
      Codecs       : (ulaw)
      Codec Order  : (ulaw:20)
      Auto-Framing :  No
      Status       : OK (18 ms)
      Useragent    :
      Reg. Contact :
      Qualify Freq : 60000 ms
      Keepalive    : 0 ms
      Sess-Timers  : Accept
      Sess-Refresh : uas
      Sess-Expires : 1800 secs
      Min-Sess     : 90 secs
      RTP Engine   : asterisk
      Parkinglot   :
      Use Reason   : No
      Encryption   : No

Do you see anything in this setup that would prevent "sip show peers" from getting a failed trunk through to FOP2?
  • I see this in your post:

asterisk -rx 'sip show peer Mktg_5-out'

Name of the peer is "Mktg_5-out", what is the name of the fop2 channel for that trunk button? If you have TWO separate names, one for inbound, one for outbound, you will have to specify the other/missing one in the channel field in the fop2 buttons freepbx admin page. Or add it as an extra channel field in your button definition if configuring manually. Otherwise, any event related to that extra channel name will not match your button.

Example in fop2 buttons.cfg:
    [SIP/Mktg_5]
    type=trunk

If you have events received with SIP/Mktg_5-out, they will not match as they are in fact a different channel. So, add an extra channel, like:
    [SIP/Mktg_5]
    type=trunk
    channel=SIP/Mktg_5-out

• By the way, just to be sure I tried with my own installation for a sip trunk I have. If I block the ip address via iptables, in a couple of minutes I received the proper unreachable event and the button is grayed out in fop2.

If you want to log the manager output for debug, you can set the options line in /etc/sysconfig/fop2 like this

OPTIONS="-d -X 15 -l /tmp"

That will log output into tmp (output.log and error log in fop2 2.26 or prior, fop2_debug log in fop2 2.27 beta). You will see, among other things, the events being received in AMI, like:
    127.0.0.1            <- Event: PeerStatus
    127.0.0.1            <- Privilege: system,all
    127.0.0.1            <- ChannelType: SIP
    127.0.0.1            <- Peer: SIP/trunkprovider
    127.0.0.1            <- PeerStatus: Unreachable
    127.0.0.1            <- Time: -1

Best regards,
  • If you have TWO separate names, one for inbound, one for outbound, you will have to specify the other/missing one in the channel field in the fop2 buttons freepbx admin page.
    Example in fop2 buttons.cfg:
    [SIP/Mktg_5]
    type=trunk

If you have events received with SIP/Mktg_5-out, they will not match as they are in fact a different channel. So, add an extra channel, like:
    [SIP/Mktg_5]
    type=trunk
    channel=SIP/Mktg_5-out

I think you may be on to something, but I am not sure I fully understand the solution (sorry for being dense)

Here is my FreePBX setup for trunk Mktg 5
    http://docs.ayuda.ca/Mkgt_5-Trunk.jpg

When I tried to make the Trunk Name (Outgoing settings) and the Context Name (Incoming Settings) the same, I got an error message saying
    Trunk Name and User Context cannot be set to the same value

so Ieft them as is, with the
    Trunk Name (Top setting): Mktg 5
    Outgoing Settings / Trunk Name: Mktg_5-out
    Incoming Settings / User Conttext : Mktg_5-in

I added, using the FreePBX -> Other -> FOP2 Buttons, the additional Mktg_5-in Channel to my SIP?Mktg_5-out trunk and then
    - rebuilt the buttons.cfg file using /usr/local/fop2/autoconfig-buttons-freepbx.sh > /usr/local/fop2/buttons.cfg
    - restarted fop2 using service fop2 restart
    and I now have, in my buttons.cfg file the following entry for SIP/Mktg_5-out
    [SIP/Mktg_5-out]
    type=trunk
    label=SIP/Mktg_5-out
    queuecontext=from-internal
    privacy=none
    channel=SIP/Mktg_5-in
    rtmp=0

I entered a bad secret in the registration settings for the Mktg 5 trunk and within a minute, the registration was reflected as bad, but the Trunk button did not change. I also noticed that I did not have any extra buttons in the panel for the Inbound trunk (should I have extra buttons for the additional channel?).

I noticed in your example, you used SIP/Mktg_5 not SIP/Mktgt_5-out in your trunk definition. I have "Mktg 5" as my (free-text) Trunk name but Mktg_5-out and Mktg_5-in as my outbound and inbound setting names. When I run the autoconfigure with
    /usr/local/fop2/autoconfig-buttons-freepbx.sh > /usr/local/fop2/buttons.cfg

it automatically picks up the Mktg_5-out name.
    Is that an issue?

I am guessing we are close and I appreciate you sticking with me on this; I hope I can "get it" quickly.
  • If you want to log the manager output for debug, you can set the options line in /etc/sysconfig/fop2 like this
    OPTIONS="-d -X 15 -l /tmp"

I changed (temporarily, that quickly started adding up to quite a log file) the settings in /etc/sysconfig/fop2 to the above and restarted fop2

The output.log populated very quickly but the error.log got no entries.

The entries in the output.log for Mktg_5 were
    127.0.0.1       <- Event: PeerEntry
    127.0.0.1       <- Channeltype: SIP
    127.0.0.1       <- ObjectName: Mktg_5-in
    127.0.0.1       <- ChanObjectType: peer
    127.0.0.1       <- IPaddress: {IP_address_of_provider}
    127.0.0.1       <- IPport: 5060
    127.0.0.1       <- Dynamic: no
    127.0.0.1       <- AutoForcerport: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Forcerport: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- AutoComedia: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Comedia: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- VideoSupport: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- TextSupport: no
    127.0.0.1       <- ACL: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Status: OK (17 ms)
    127.0.0.1       <- RealtimeDevice: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Description: 
    127.0.0.1       <- Server: 0

127.0.0.1       <- Event: PeerEntry
    127.0.0.1       <- Channeltype: SIP
    127.0.0.1       <- ObjectName: Mktg_5-out
    127.0.0.1       <- ChanObjectType: peer
    127.0.0.1       <- IPaddress: {IP_address_of_provider}
    127.0.0.1       <- IPport: 5060
    127.0.0.1       <- Dynamic: no
    127.0.0.1       <- AutoForcerport: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Forcerport: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- AutoComedia: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Comedia: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- VideoSupport: yes
    127.0.0.1       <- TextSupport: no
    127.0.0.1       <- ACL: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Status: OK (17 ms)
    127.0.0.1       <- RealtimeDevice: no
    127.0.0.1       <- Description: 
    127.0.0.1       <- Server: 0

This was the same as the entries for the other channels (for which I had NOT yet added the extra channel in the fop2 admin) and no errors/outages were reported even though the registry did show No Authentication.

I don't know where to go now.

I was wondering if the timing settings were such that the Peer never realized the trunk was out, but:
    - I had the same settings in the previous (fop1) system that did show trunk registration failures
    - the registry settings are immmediately being seen
    - I had left the (non-registered) state as is for 15 minutes so I thought that would allow any delays to be recognized

Something is different between ours systems though, since you are getting yours to work, so FOP2 is certainly capable of it. It just is not doing it with my configuration. All the other functinality is working (Extensions grey out when not connected, Conference, Park, Trunks show properly when being used, Toollbar Icon commands work, ...)

One thing I did try: On Mktg_8-out (another trunk, that the outbound routes are configured to use as the first one for local calls) I entered a bad secret in the Rgistration string and the Sip Registry recognized the trunk as Not Authenticated, yet, when I made a local call, Mktg_8-out was still used and the call was completed.

Then I entered a bad secret in the Oubound Settings, the Inbound settings and the Registration string and the Mktg_8-out trunk did NOT process the call; it passed to Mktg_7-out (as it is supposed to).

However, in neither case, did the error.log get any entries.

Is this helping to zero in on the issue?
  • An emtpy error_log is good news.. and not related at all with your issue. The event that FOP2 monitors for registration status is "PeerStatus", I posted a sample event before, here it is again:
    127.0.0.1            <- Event: PeerStatus
    127.0.0.1            <- Privilege: system,all
    127.0.0.1            <- ChannelType: SIP
    127.0.0.1            <- Peer: SIP/trunkprovider
    127.0.0.1            <- PeerStatus: Unreachable
    127.0.0.1            <- Time: -1

Your Asterisk server must broadcast an event like that when you have qualify problems with a trunk.

Again. fop2 monitors qualify events, not Registry events. A bad password does not make a sip peer unreachable, it just fails a registration event. fop2 only monitors PeerStatus events. The PeerEntries are read at startup, but the meat of realtime sip status information is actually the PeerStatus event.